3rd Annual Equity in Education Scholarship applications are open February 1 to April 2, 2024
The Equity in Education scholarship fund is a partnership between The Hagerstown Area Religious Council and Washington County Public Schools. Multiple scholarships are awarded annually ranging from $1,500 to $7,000 to racially minoritized students (with preference to African American students) who reside and/or teach in Washington County, Maryland, and are pursuing a degree in education or a related field. Scholarships may be eligible for renewal until degree is obtained.
Who is this for?
- High school graduates just accepted into college
- Para-professionals or associate’s degree holders seeking a teaching certification.
- Anyone seeking a degree in education or a related field (i.e. teaching, school counseling, etc.)
The scholarship amount is determined by the applicant’s course load, tuition costs, and/or degree program. Examples of allowable expenses include:
- Books and Supplies
- Room & Board
- Other allowable expenses may include: rent, childcare, transportation, etc.
- Must be racially-minoritized student
- Accepted into an associate’s or bachelor’s degree program and pursuing a degree in education or a related field or accepted into a Master of Arts in Teaching program
- Resident of Washington County, Maryland, or employee of WCPS
- Recipients must maintain employment as a substitute teacher or paraprofessional with Washington County Public Schools (certain exceptions may be considered)
Requirements of Scholarship Recipients:
- Recipients will be assigned a mentor and/or team to support them during their scholarship period. Active communication with your mentor and/or the team is required; and
- Maintain a minimum of 2.5 GPA
- Continue to pursue a degree in education
We are seeking donations for the 2024 scholarship cycle. Donations can be made through the HARC website noted “Equity in Education Scholarship.” Please share this Equity in Education flyer 2024 to spread the word!
Congratulations to our 2023-2024 Equity in Education Scholarship winners!
Recipients of the 2023-2024 Equity in Education Scholarship were honored June 8 at the WCPS Center for Education Services. The scholarship was created via private donors and grant funds through the Hagerstown Area Religious Council, Education Foundation of WCPS, and the Community Foundation of Washington County. Congratulations to this year’s honorees (shown with awards from left): Tiffany Shepherd, Kamilah Scott, Xenia Diaz, Gabrielle Desir-Pierre, and Cayla Mayo. We also celebrate Lyvon Campbell (pictured second from far left) and Delphine Kahl (not present), recipients of the 2022 scholarship who will be teaching full time at Washington County Public Schools this fall!
We are especially grateful to the Alice Virginia and David W. Fletcher Foundation and The Episcopal Diocese of Maryland for their generous grant awards that made this opportunity possible. Thanks also to Soroptomist International of Hagerstown, Funkhouser Foundation, and many generous individuals who financially supported the 2023-2024 scholarships.